Parents are the center corner of our services. We welcome questions and comments from our families. We want to ensure we are serving you and your child well.

If there are any specific trainings you would like us to provide for you, please do not hesitate to let us know. Depending on scheduling, we may provide basic ABA training for caregivers and families. We may also invite experts from various counties and school districts to speak and educate our families about particular topics.


How do you get Medical Assistance (MA) under the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act (TEFRA) Option?

Sometimes a family may have too high an income to qualify for MA. This is where MA under the TEFRA Option is able to help. Visit this website for more details.

How can I change my child’s insurance from a PMAP or MCO (ex: HealthPartners) to straight Medical Assistance (MA)?

Your case county worker or your child’s social worker will be able to help you with this process. First, your child must be diagnosed with autism or certified disabled by the Social Security Administration or the Department of Human Services (DHS).

Who do I contact about my child or my Social Security Disability Benefits?

You can contact the Social Security Disability Benefits office at 1-800-772-1213, visit in person (call first to make an appointment, find the nearest location here), or go online to

How does your child qualify for a waiver?

Your child would have to first complete a MnCHOICES Assessment in the county in which you reside.


Do you live in multifamily housing and need help with discussing reasonable accommodations for your child with management?

Some families need home safety modifications to ensure their child(ren)’s safety. Under the Americans Disability Act and the Fair Housing Amendments Act, housing providers must adhere to the needs of those with disabilities residing in their property. Please refer to the Reasonable Accommodation Request Letter here for a form to fill out.

Do you need help finding affordable housing?

Please refer to the resources in the Housing Tip Sheet.

Do you need help finding housing for people with disabilities?

Please refer to the resources in the Housing Tip Sheet.

Do you need legal assistance due to housing or tenancy issues?

Please refer to the resources in the Housing Tip Sheet.


Has your child received an Individual Education Plan (IEP) through his/her school and you believe your child was placed in the incorrect Federal Setting Level?

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a law meant to ensure a free and appropriate public education to children with disabilities, including the special education and other services the child may need. Therefore, each child is evaluated by staff within the school and the parents to create an Individual Education Plan (IEP) to identify the support and services the child needs. During this process, your child will be designated a federal setting number (1-5), to delineate the intensity and frequency of support the child should receive. If you are in disagreement with the school’s decision concerning your child’s designation, you have the right to ask your school’s case manager, social worker, teacher, or other IEP staff to reevaluate your child.

Am I able to home school my child?

According to the Minnesota Statutes, section 120A.22, subdivision 22, a parent/guardian may apply to have their child excused from attendance for the school year if the child’s physical or mental health would prevent attendance at school or application to study due to a condition that requires ongoing treatment for a mental health diagnosis. Please refer to this website for more questions concern home schooling.

Home School Education